So I was given the opportunity to try this fun and savory fried pork rinds panko crumbs from baconsheir.com and to be honest at first had no idea what I was going to use it on…but as I scoured the interweb for ideas talked to some friends and then I finally I decided on one that peaked my interest! I decided to go with making my very first stuffed eggplant Parmesan and let me say it did not disappoint. Below is the recipe but let me know what you think and as always appreciate your support 💛🤙
1 large eggplant (about 3 lbs total)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/4 cup Pork Rind Panko crumbs from
1/4 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs of dried oregano
1 1/2 cups marinara sauce, divided
1 1/2 cups whole-milk shredded mozzarella, divided
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Leaving a 1/2-inch border, using a paring kn￼ife to around the insides of each half, then scoop out the flesh with a spoon, creating boats out of the shells. Then coarsely chop the flesh, then set aside.
3. Rub the insides of hollowed eggplant shell with 1 tbs of the oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Place the shells cut-side up in a baking dish. Roast until tender (no resistance when pierced with the tip of knife), about 20 to 30 minutes depending on size of the eggplant, then set aside
4. Combine the breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon of the oil, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl and set aside
5.Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium until heated. Add the onion and garlic, stirring until soft 4 to 5 minutes. Then add chopped eggplant flesh, remaining 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the eggplant is tender, 7 to 9 minutes. Stir in 2 tbs of oregano, along with 1 cup of the marinara and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes, then remove from the heat.
6. Add the basil, 1 cup of the mozzarella, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and stir to combine them all
7. Transfer the eggplant shells to work surface. Pour remaining 1 cup of marinara sauce into the baking dish and spread into an even layer. Return the eggplant shells to the baking dish. Spoon the filling evenly into the shells. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and remaining breadcrumb mixture.
8. Bake until cheese melts about 7-10 minutes then switch to broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the breadcrumbs are browned, 2 to 4 minutes. To serve, top the eggplant shells with marinara sauce from the baking dish and extra basil.
Follow me @bluetravelz 🌊🏄